Posted on 13 January, 2012 - 09:40 byBruce Triggs
AccNoir-2011-12-28, Klezmer Noir 2011 (Part 3 of 3)
* Artist – Song – Album (year) – Where are they from? – Contact info if we've got it.
* Daniel Kahn & The Painted Bird – Mayn Rue Plats / Where I rest – Partisans & Parasites (2009) – Detroit, Michigan, USA / Berlin, Germany – http://www.paintedbird.net/ Geoff Berner sings a version of this.
* Geoff Berner – Mayn Rue Platz – Victory Party (2011) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – http://www.geoffberner.com Daniel Kahn does this song too.
* Olam – Cigarettes – (1998) – Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada – http://www.klezmershack.com/articles/davidow/2000_0115_5good.html#olam
* Fishtank – Doina Sonnambule – Super Raoul (2005) – Los Angeles, California, USA – http://www.fishtankensemble.com/
* Tummel – Single hair replacement – Transit (2004) – Sweden – http://www.tummel.nu/
* Klezmic Zirkus – Kérosène – Vitamine K (2007) – Liège, Liège, Belgium – http://www.abysses-asbl.be/klezmic-zirkus/
* Storsveit Nix Noltes – Blagoeugrad Region Oro – Orkideur Hawai (2006) – Iceland – http://www.myspace.com/storsveitnixnoltes
* Bare Naked Ladies – Hanakkah, oh Hanakkah – Barenaked for the Holidays (1994) – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barenaked_for_the_Holidays
* Tzimmes (pronounced: Tsi'-mes) – Oyfn Pripetskik (In The Tiny Grate) – A Lid For Every Pot (0) – British Columbia, Canada – http://www.tzimmes.net/
* Tina Tew and Dave Chokroun – Der Yiddishe Soldat in die Trenches – Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbGsSyYPOlQ
* Vancouver Squeezebox Circle – Klezmer Jam – July 3, 2008 (2008) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – www.SqueezeboxCircle.org
* Wax Mannequin – Volcano God – Saxon (2009) – Hamilton, Ontario, Canada – http://www.waxmannequin.com/
* Finjan – Greenhorn Blues – Crossing Selkirk Avenue (0) – Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada – http://www.klezmershack.com/bands/finjan/selkirk/finjan.selkirk.html
* The Flying Bulgar Klezmer Band – Fun Der Khuppe – The Flying Bulgar Klezmer Band (1990) – Toronto, Ontario, Canada – http://theflyingbulgars.tripod.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Bulgar_Klezmer_Band
* Daniel Kahn & The Painted Bird – Birkenau – The Broken Tongue/Dos Tsebrokhene Loshn (2006) – Detroit-New York, USA / Berlin, Germany – paintedbird.net
Tonight's cover illustration: Daniel Kahn and Geoff Berner, together on one poster! We should have them over here – the new wave of klezmer rebels. http://www.myspace.com/labelcocotte
Please, support Accordion Noir and Co-op Radio (without whom there wouldn't be an Accordion Noir), by becoming a member. Go to www.AccordionNoir.org or www.CoopRadio.org and donate online. We really especially supporters who've become "sustaining" donors by arranging to donate a little bit every month. Those add up to a lot of support over the year. We love that most of all.
When you're able to donate, please do add a comment that, "Accordion Noir sent me!" Then we know who loves squeezing.
Bruce and Rowan
Get all your Vancouver Area accordion information at:
Vancouver Squeezebox Circle meets the first Thursday of every month at Spartacus Books, 684 E. Hastings. 8-10 PM.
Let us know where you're listening from: accordion.noir@ geemail doctor (spam is up in Vancouver these days, also, it's raining.)
Support Accordion Noir, we love our supporters, and our supporters' supporters – even our detractors love our supporters.
Accordion Noir T-shirts! With a swell sepia-colour antique accordion and Flutina Girl image, and on the back our motto: "Ruthlessly pursuing the idea that the accordion is just another instrument."
Shirts are $20 here in Vancouver. $25 mail-order. We've got pictures up on the Squeezebox Circle site now. More info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Again, our fame-ulous "One Less Guitar" stickers are available for $2 (or $8 for five) all as a fund-raiser for Co-op Radio and Accordion Noir! Email: email@example.com
Come to the Vancouver Squeezebox Circle, the first Thursday of every month, at Spartacus Books! www.SqueezeboxCircle.org
This is where we love to say: Please support ethical and fabulous media by becoming a member of Co-op Radio, because we love our little radio-station, and it loves us all back.
CFRO Co-op Radio in Vancouver, BC, Canada
102.7 FM 9:30-10:30 PM
http://www.coopradio.org/ to support us worldwide.
Please bask in the green glory of www.AccordionNoir.org and click on the subtle "Donate" link on top to share funds with Accordion Noir's beloved Co-op Radio. Thanks to donors and Co-op Radio Members, we are great-full!