Posted on 12 January, 2012 - 12:06 byBruce Triggs
AccNoir-2011-12-28, Klezmer Noir 2011 (Part 2 of 3)
* Artist – Song – Album (year) – Where are they from? – Contact info if we've got it.
* Nathan Prince Nazaroff – A Mazeldiker Yid (Yiddish Song) (with octophone!) 1954 – http://www.folkways.si.edu/albumdetails.aspx?itemid=1177
* Geoff Berner – Lucky God Damn Jew – Whiskey Rabbi (2005) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – http://www.geoffberner.com
* Cricket & Snail – Funder Chuppa (Under the Wedding Canopy) – It Takes Two (2010) – Monteagle, Tennessee, USA – http://www.Alembickmusic.com/cricketandsnail.html Lucie Carlson, violin / James Carlson, accordion
* Yiddish Columbian State Orchestra – Silver Wedding – Seven Good Years (2009) Victoria, British Columbia, Canada – http://www.myspace.com/theyiddishcolumbiastateorchestra
* Guignol – Grifter's Delight – Guignol (2004) – Brooklyn, New York (USA) – Stuff Franz Nicolay played accordion on! http://www.franznicolay.com/
* Kugelplex – Romski Cocek – Ceçi N’Est Pas Klezmer (2004) – San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA – http://www.kugelplex.com/
* Golem – Bublichki Remix – (0) – New York, New York, USA – http://www.golemrocks.com/
* Yiddish Columbian State Orchestra – Lena from Palestina – Silver Wedding – Seven Good Years (2009) Victoria, British Columbia, Canada – http://www.myspace.com/theyiddishcolumbiastateorchestra
* The Klezmatics – Sirba Matey Matey – Possessed (2002) – New York City, New York State, USA – http://klezmatics.com/
* Shirim Klezmer Orchestra – Scheherezade – Pincus And The Pig (2004) – New York City, New York State, USA – http://www.shirim.com/
* Daniel Kahn & The Painted Bird – good old bad old days – Good Old Bad Old Days Demo (0) – Detroit, Michigan, USA / Berlin, Germany – http://www.paintedbird.net/
Tonight's cover illustration: My college friend Christina Crowder, who converted me to the accordion in about two seconds in 1990. Yea! This is her (I think) more recently with The Wholesale Klezmer Band. http://www.ganeydn.com/wkb/WholesaleKlezmer.html (I don't think we have any recordings of her with them yet.)
Please, support Accordion Noir and Co-op Radio (without whom there wouldn't be an Accordion Noir), by becoming a member. Go to www.AccordionNoir.org or www.CoopRadio.org and donate online. We really especially supporters who've become "sustaining" donors by arranging to donate a little bit every month. Those add up to a lot of support over the year. We love that most of all.
When you're able to donate, please do add a comment that, "Accordion Noir sent me!" Then we know who loves squeezing.
Bruce and Rowan
Get all your Vancouver Area accordion information at:
Vancouver Squeezebox Circle meets the first Thursday of every month at Spartacus Books, 684 E. Hastings. 8-10 PM.
Let us know where you're listening from: accordion.noir@ geemail doctor (spam is up in Vancouver these days, also, it's raining.)
Support Accordion Noir, we love our supporters, and our supporters' supporters – even our detractors love our supporters.
Accordion Noir T-shirts! With a swell sepia-colour antique accordion and Flutina Girl image, and on the back our motto: "Ruthlessly pursuing the idea that the accordion is just another instrument."
Shirts are $20 here in Vancouver. $25 mail-order. We've got pictures up on the Squeezebox Circle site now. More info: email@example.com
Again, our fame-ulous "One Less Guitar" stickers are available for $2 (or $8 for five) all as a fund-raiser for Co-op Radio and Accordion Noir! Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Come to the Vancouver Squeezebox Circle, the first Thursday of every month, at Spartacus Books! www.SqueezeboxCircle.org
This is where we love to say: Please support ethical and fabulous media by becoming a member of Co-op Radio, because we love our little radio-station, and it loves us all back.
CFRO Co-op Radio in Vancouver, BC, Canada
102.7 FM 9:30-10:30 PM
http://www.coopradio.org/ to support us worldwide.
Please bask in the green glory of www.AccordionNoir.org and click on the subtle "Donate" link on top to share funds with Accordion Noir's beloved Co-op Radio. Thanks to donors and Co-op Radio Members, we are great-full!