Posted on 9 January, 2012 - 11:02 byBruce Triggs
AccNoir-2011-12-28, Klezmer Noir 2011 (Part 1 of 3).
* Artist – Song – Album (year) – Where are they from? – Contact info if we've got it.
* Mishka Ziganoff – Bessarabia Doina – Squeeze Play-World Accordion (1920) – USA, New York Klezzmer – www.rounderstore.com/ product.asp?P=1166110902
* Adrienne Cooper – Drey, Dreydl, and Friling – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDqQ70_Krlc – http://www.adriennecooper.com
* The Klezmatics – Beggars' Dance – Possessed (2002) – New York City, New York State, USA – http://klezmatics.com/
* German Goldenshteyn – Moldavian Freylakhs – The Rough Guide To Klezmer Revival (2006) – Bessarabian shtetl of Otaci, then in Romania, now in Moldova / New York, USA – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Goldenshteyn
* Joref Rosenblatt – Atto Yotzarto (early 1900's) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yossele_Rosenblatt (A favourite of Ornette Coleman according to Nat Hentoff. Rosenblatt hit the vaudeville circuit and recorded a song about the Titanic the year after it sank.)
* Sabbath Hela Veckan – Ot Azoi – Klez (1994) – Stockholm, Sweden – http://www.sami.se/art/pbothen/index.html
* Brave Old World – Wailing World – The Rough Guide To Klezmer (0) – (they're from all over) – http://www.braveoldworld.com/
* Geoff Berner – Luck in Exile – Klezmer Mongrels (2009) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – http://www.geoffberner.com/ Tune like Brave Old World's Wailing World, and Di Naya Kapelye's "Hangu And Freylachs From Podoly"
* Di Naye Kapelye – Hangu And Freylachs From Podoly – The Rough Guide To Klezmer (1998) – Budapest, Hungary / USA – http://www.dinayekapelye.com/ Like Geoff Berner's "Luck in Exile" (That's my long-lost friend Christina Crowder on acc.)
Tonight's cover illustration: Klezkamp! Inspiration for our holiday-minded celebration here tonight. Check it out: http://www.klezkamp.org/index.htm
Please, support Accordion Noir and Co-op Radio (without whom there wouldn't be an Accordion Noir), by becoming a member. Go to www.AccordionNoir.org or www.CoopRadio.org and donate online. We really especially supporters who've become "sustaining" donors by arranging to donate a little bit every month. Those add up to a lot of support over the year. We love that most of all.
When you're able to donate, please do add a comment that, "Accordion Noir sent me!" Then we know who loves squeezing.
Bruce and Rowan
Get all your Vancouver Area accordion information at:
Vancouver Squeezebox Circle meets the first Thursday of every month at Spartacus Books, 684 E. Hastings. 8-10 PM.
Let us know where you're listening from: accordion.noir@ geemail doctor (spam is up in Vancouver these days, also, it's raining.)
Support Accordion Noir, we love our supporters, and our supporters' supporters – even our detractors love our supporters.
Accordion Noir T-shirts! With a swell sepia-colour antique accordion and Flutina Girl image, and on the back our motto: "Ruthlessly pursuing the idea that the accordion is just another instrument."
Shirts are $20 here in Vancouver. $25 mail-order. We've got pictures up on the Squeezebox Circle site now. More info: email@example.com
Again, our fame-ulous "One Less Guitar" stickers are available for $2 (or $8 for five) all as a fund-raiser for Co-op Radio and Accordion Noir! Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Come to the Vancouver Squeezebox Circle, the first Thursday of every month, at Spartacus Books! www.SqueezeboxCircle.org
This is where we love to say: Please support ethical and fabulous media by becoming a member of Co-op Radio, because we love our little radio-station, and it loves us all back.
CFRO Co-op Radio in Vancouver, BC, Canada
102.7 FM 9:30-10:30 PM
http://www.coopradio.org/ to support us worldwide.
Please bask in the green glory of www.AccordionNoir.org and click on the subtle "Donate" link on top to share funds with Accordion Noir's beloved Co-op Radio. Thanks to donors and Co-op Radio Members, we are great-full!