Posted on 14 August, 2011 - 18:59 byBruce Triggs
AccNoir-2011-06–29, Jazz Fest Post-view, and Alice Hall Exclusive
Obviously these are way-late. But if you weren't in town for the events, it's not so bad I hope. Sorry for the delays, Bruce of Accordion Noir Thanks for listening!
Please consider donating to support the Hayloft Gang documentary and spread the word about the accordion history in early country music.
Oh, and look, we're a movie! http://accordionuprising.wordpress.com/2011/08/06/one-less-guitar-a-film-about-accordion-noir/
* Artist – Song – Album (year) – Where are they from? – Contact info if we've got it.
* Irving Mills and His Hotsy Totsy Gang – High and Dry – Hoagy Carmichael 1927-1939 (193) – – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irving_Mills http://www.archive.org/details/IrvingMillsAsHotsy-totsyGang-HighAndDry 78 RPM record GRINDING noises have been reduced by email@example.com
* Andy Fielding – Accordion Noir theme (short version, 1:06) – Accordion Noir (2010) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – recorded special just for our show! More, http://www.andyfielding.com/temp/visigoth.pdf
* The Tom Fun Orchestra – Throw Me to the Rats – You Will Land With A Thud (2007) – Cape Breton Island, Canada – http://www.tomfun.ca/
* Ray Miller And His Orchestra – Angry – Squeeze Me 1: 1929-40 Accordion Joe (The Jazz and Swing Accordion Story) (1929) – http://www.proper-records.co.uk/artists.php?action=alview&alid=2011
* Richard Galliano – Bébé – Solo (1999) – Cannes, France – http://www.richardgalliano.com/index.html
* Alice Hall Trio – Pennies from Heaven – 78 rpm record, catalog # Capitol 57-60007 (3921) Z #78-101# (194) – Los Angeles, California, USA – http://dragspelsmusik.com/
* Sam Lanin's Dance Ensemble – Hello Beautiful! – 78 rpm Hit of the Week 1136 (1931) – – [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFjIJL5GT_g] (video NOT safe for work! Nudie picks.) Probably Cornell Smelser on accordion. Originally on a "Hit of the Week" cardboard record! http://www.virtualvictrola.com/sam_lanin/
* The Cellar Boys – Barrel House Stomp – Squeeze Me 1: 1929-40 Accordion Joe (The Jazz and Swing Accordion Story) (1930) – – http://www.proper-records.co.uk/artists.php?action=alview&alid=2011
* Alice Hall Trio – Caravan – 78 rpm record, catalog # Capitol 57-60007 (3921) Z #78-101# (194) – Los Angeles, California, USA – http://dragspelsmusik.com/
* The Tom Fun Orchestra – Tar Pond Tango – You Will Land With A Thud (2007) – Cape Breton Island, Canada – http://www.tomfun.ca/
* The Savoy Family Band – Lake Arthur Stomp – The Rough Guide To Cajun Dance (2004) – Eunice, Louisiana, USA – http://www.savoymusiccenter.com/
* Michael Doucet & Marc Savoy – Accordion origin in Cajun Music – Jai été Au Ball (movie soundtrack) (1989) – USA, Louisiana – From the film: Jai été Au Ball
* Richard Galliano – Des Voiliers – Solo (1999) – Cannes, France – http://www.richardgalliano.com/index.html
* The Tom Fun Orchestra – Heart Attack in an Old Motel – You Will Land With A Thud (2007) – Cape Breton Island, Canada – http://www.tomfun.ca/
Tonight's cover illustration is: Alice Hall (fun Spanish biography site)
Happy spring-time, and please, support Accordion Noir and Co-op Radio (without whom there wouldn't be an Accordion Noir), by becoming a member. Go to www.AccordionNoir.org or www.CoopRadio.org and donate online. We really especially supporters who've become "sustaining" donors by arranging to donate a little bit every month. Those add up to a lot of support over the year. We love that most of all.
When you're able to donate, please do add a comment that, "Accordion Noir sent me!" Then we know who loves squeezing.
Bruce and Rowan
Get all your Vancouver Area accordion information at:
Vancouver Squeezebox Circle meets the first Thursday of every month at Spartacus Books, 684 E. Hastings. 8-10 PM.
Let us know where you're listening from: accordion.noir@ geemail doctor (spam is up in Vancouver these days, also, it's raining.)
Support Accordion Noir, we love our supporters, and our supporters' supporters – even our detractors love our supporters.
Accordion Noir T-shirts! With a swell sepia-colour antique accordion and Flutina Girl image, and on the back our motto: "Ruthlessly pursuing the idea that the accordion is just another instrument."
Shirts are $20 here in Vancouver. $25 mail-order. We've got pictures up on the Squeezebox Circle site now. More info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Again, our fame-ulous "One Less Guitar" stickers are available for $2 (or $8 for five) all as a fund-raiser for Co-op Radio and Accordion Noir! Email: email@example.com
Come to the Vancouver Squeezebox Circle, the first Thursday of every month, at Spartacus Books! www.SqueezeboxCircle.org
This is where we love to say: Please support ethical and fabulous media by becoming a member of Co-op Radio, because we love our little radio-station, and it loves us all back.
CFRO Co-op Radio in Vancouver, BC, Canada
102.7 FM 9:30-10:30 PM
http://www.coopradio.org/ to support us worldwide.
Please bask in the green glory of www.AccordionNoir.org and click on the subtle "Donate" link on top to share funds with Accordion Noir's beloved Co-op Radio. Thanks to donors and Co-op Radio Members, we are great-full!