Posted on 16 June, 2011 - 16:55 byBruce Triggs
AccNoir-2011-06-15, Accordion Riot in Canada
[we interrupt our regularly scheduled attempt to catch up on our un-posted shows from last month, with this late-breaking episode about a bunch of presumably drunk people who invested too much in a hockey bubble.]
* Artist – Song – Album (year) – Where are they from? – Contact info if we've got it.
* Andy Fielding – Accordion Noir theme (accordion riot version) – Accordion Noir (2010) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – recorded special just for our show! More, http://www.andyfielding.com/temp/visigoth.pdf
* Duckmandu – Anarchy in the UK – Quack Rock: Five Duckades of Accordion Mega-Hits (2009) – – http://www.duckmandu.com/
* Korpliklaani – Happy Little Boozer – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFZoSKDzCPE – http://www.korpiklaani.com/news/index.htm
* Muddy Waters – Going Down To Main Street – Muddy Waters Woodstock Album (1975) – http://theband.hiof.no/albums/muddy_waters_woodstock.html Garth Hudson of the Band, acc.
* George "Pamby" Dick – Boston Bells Barn Dance – Melodeon Greats (1913) – Scotland, UK – http://www.topicrecords.co.uk (With notes by Keith Chandler.)
* The Magnetic Fields – We Are Having A Hootenanny – Realism (2009) – Boston, Massachusetts, USA – http://www.houseoftomorrow.com/
* Fugitives – Police Live in my Basement – In Streetlight Communication (2007) – Vancouver, Canada – http://www.fugitives.ca/
* Tosca Tango Orchestra – Super Sport – Waking Life Soundtrack (2001) – Austin, Texas, USA – http://www.toscastrings.com/tosca_tango.htm
* Geoff Berner – Victory Party – Victory Party (2011) – Vancouver, BC, Canada –
* Duckmandu (Aaron Seeman) – Chemical Warfare Choir Submix #1 – Fresh Duck for Rotting Accordionists (2005) – San Francisco, California, USA – http://www.duckmandu.com/
* Karen Street – I Dance For You – The Giulietti Sound, book and CD (2008) – http://henrydoktorski.com/store/Giulietti_Book.html
* The Magnetic Fields – Too Drunk To Dream – Distortion (2008) – Boston, Massachusetts, USA – http://www.houseoftomorrow.com/
* Alec K. Redfearn & The Eyesores – The Night it Rained Glass on Union Street – The Quiet Room (2005) – Providence, Rhode Island, USA (Home of HP Lovecraft!) – http://www.aleckredfearn.com/information.html
* Dorlene Love – Cool Cool Anarchy – Gypsy, Stockholm, Sweden – http://www.dorlenelove.com/ http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=15812719
* Blind Connie Williams – Take Your Burden To The Lord – Philadelphia Street Singer (1995) – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA – (Got this from Jared Snyder, he's our hero.)
* Duckmandu – Thus Spracht / Anarchy in the UK / I've got spurs that jingle jangle jingle – The Monsters of Accordion show, Spokane, WA, (The P.A. System, Spokane7 Podcasts) (2008) – San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA – Ryan Pitts: RyanP@SPOKESMAN.com http://www.spokane7.com/music/podcast/?id=244
* Jason Webley – Hockey Star – Live at the Vancouver Legion Hall, Easter Sunday, 2011 (from Youtube)
* Émile Vacher – Sporting Java – Accordeon 1913-1941 (Disc 2) (1930) – – http://www.fremeaux.com/
Tonight's cover illustration is: a Flame-y Accordion. Don't try this at your sporting event.
Happy spring-time, and please, support Accordion Noir and Co-op Radio (without whom there wouldn't be an Accordion Noir), by becoming a member. Go to www.AccordionNoir.org or www.CoopRadio.org and donate online. We really especially supporters who've become "sustaining" donors by arranging to donate a little bit every month. Those add up to a lot of support over the year. We love that most of all.
When you're able to donate, please do add a comment that, "Accordion Noir sent me!" Then we know who loves squeezing.
Bruce and Rowan
Get all your Vancouver Area accordion information at:
Vancouver Squeezebox Circle meets the first Thursday of every month at Spartacus Books, 684 E. Hastings. 8-10 PM.
Let us know where you're listening from: accordion.noir@ geemail doctor (spam is up in Vancouver these days, also, it's raining.)
Support Accordion Noir, we love our supporters, and our supporters' supporters – even our detractors love our supporters.
Accordion Noir T-shirts! With a swell sepia-colour antique accordion and Flutina Girl image, and on the back our motto: "Ruthlessly pursuing the idea that the accordion is just another instrument."
Shirts are $20 here in Vancouver. $25 mail-order. We've got pictures up on the Squeezebox Circle site now. More info: email@example.com
Again, our fame-ulous "One Less Guitar" stickers are available for $2 (or $8 for five) all as a fund-raiser for Co-op Radio and Accordion Noir! Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Come to the Vancouver Squeezebox Circle, the first Thursday of every month, at Spartacus Books! www.SqueezeboxCircle.org
This is where we love to say: Please support ethical and fabulous media by becoming a member of Co-op Radio, because we love our little radio-station, and it loves us all back.
CFRO Co-op Radio in Vancouver, BC, Canada
102.7 FM 9:30-10:30 PM
http://www.coopradio.org/ to support us worldwide.
Please bask in the green glory of www.AccordionNoir.org and click on the subtle "Donate" link on top to share funds with Accordion Noir's beloved Co-op Radio. Thanks to donors and Co-op Radio Members, we are great-full!