Posted on 9 June, 2011 - 08:48 byBruce Triggs
AccNoir-2011-05-04, Springtime Ticking
* Artist – Song – Album (year) – Where are they from? – Contact info if we've got it.
* Hank Penny – Tuxedo Junction – Hank Penny – Hillbilly Be-Bop (1944-1950) – (Out of Print?) http://therockingipsy.blogspot.com/2010/06/hank-penny-hillbilly-be-bop.html
* Andy Fielding – Accordion Noir theme (long version, 2:30) – Accordion Noir (2010) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – recorded special just for our show! More, http://www.andyfielding.com/temp/visigoth.pdf
* The Leon Sash Quintet – Swedish Pastry – Live At The Velvet Heart Club (1962) – Chicago, Illinois, USA – http://www.henrydoktorski.com/historicaccordionrecords.html (the bluesy lift out at 3:30- is a five star.)
* Rio Samaya Band – Deberias Saber (You Should Know) – Secretos (2011) – Vancouver, BC, Canada –
* The Wallets – The Cowboy Song – Body Talk (1988) – Twin Cities, (Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota) – http://www.twintone.com/wallets.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wallets The Star-Tribune summed the band's style up as a "mix of polka, rock, rhythm-and-blues, jazz and whimsy". "Going-out-of-business party", Star-Tribune, December 29, 1988
* The Silvertones (Pre-The Angry) – Red Headed Flea – (1965) – Canton, Ohio, USA – http://www.theangry.net/musicclips.htm Hans Stucki, chordovox/acc.
* The Kinks – Alcohol – Muswell Hillbillies (1998) – Accordion –
* Maria in the Shower – Star of Bannack – The Hidden Sayings of Maria in the Shower (2011) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – Visit http://mariaintheshower.bandcamp.com
* Conjunto Bernal – Loretta Polka – Mi Unico Camino (0) – Texas, usa – http://www.arhoolie.com/
* Duckmandu (Aaron Seeman) – Ill in the Head – Fresh Duck for Rotting Accordionists (2005) – San Francisco, California, USA – http://www.duckmandu.com/
* Harmonium – En Pleine Face – Si On Avait Besoin D'une Cinquième Saison (1975) – Montréal, Québec, Canada – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Si_on_Avait_Besoin_D'une_Cinquième_Saison
* Tummel – Tsiganovs hands – Transit (2004) – Sweden – http://www.tummel.nu/
* Tsar Nicholas III & the Exiles – Saint of a Liar's Church – Letter of Marque (2009) – UK – www.myspace.com/tsarnicholas3rd
* Vancouver Squeezebox Circle – Vancouver Chopsticks Circle (mp3) – (2008) – – Recorded at Spartucus Books, Feb 7, 2008
* Art Van Damme – On The Alamo – Swinging The Accordion On MPS (0) – USA – http://www.artvandamme.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPS_Records
* The Chessmen – What's Causing This Sensation – (1966?) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – Bruce Peterson, Electric Accordion (Terry Jacks' first band, who did "Seasons in the Sun.") http://www.regeneratorrecords.com/?pg=chessmen
Tonight's cover illustration is: Quim Barreiros', naked hohner accordion, for the coming summer. http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1159/695856818_54f0cf60dc_b.jpg
Happy spring-time, and please, support Accordion Noir and Co-op Radio (without whom there wouldn't be an Accordion Noir), by becoming a member. Go to www.AccordionNoir.org or www.CoopRadio.org and donate online. We really especially supporters who've become "sustaining" donors by arranging to donate a little bit every month. Those add up to a lot of support over the year. We love that most of all.
When you're able to donate, please do add a comment that, "Accordion Noir sent me!" Then we know who loves squeezing.
Bruce and Rowan
Get all your Vancouver Area accordion information at:
Vancouver Squeezebox Circle meets the first Thursday of every month at Spartacus Books, 684 E. Hastings. 8-10 PM.
Let us know where you're listening from: accordion.noir@ geemail doctor (spam is up in Vancouver these days, also, it's raining.)
Support Accordion Noir, we love our supporters, and our supporters' supporters – even our detractors love our supporters.
Accordion Noir T-shirts! With a swell sepia-colour antique accordion and Flutina Girl image, and on the back our motto: "Ruthlessly pursuing the idea that the accordion is just another instrument."
Shirts are $20 here in Vancouver. $25 mail-order. We've got pictures up on the Squeezebox Circle site now. More info: email@example.com
Again, our fame-ulous "One Less Guitar" stickers are available for $2 (or $8 for five) all as a fund-raiser for Co-op Radio and Accordion Noir! Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Come to the Vancouver Squeezebox Circle, the first Thursday of every month, at Spartacus Books! www.SqueezeboxCircle.org
This is where we love to say: Please support ethical and fabulous media by becoming a member of Co-op Radio, because we love our little radio-station, and it loves us all back.
CFRO Co-op Radio in Vancouver, BC, Canada
102.7 FM 9:30-10:30 PM
http://www.coopradio.org/ to support us worldwide.
Please bask in the green glory of www.AccordionNoir.org and click on the subtle "Donate" link on top to share funds with Accordion Noir's beloved Co-op Radio. Thanks to donors and Co-op Radio Members, we are great-full!