Posted on 3 August, 2010 - 10:11 byBruce Triggs
AccNoir-2010-07-21, Dedicated to William Burt, who on this date obtained the first patent for a writing mechanism called the Typowriter. (Actually it was July 23rd, call that what you will.)
* Artist – Song – Album (year) – Where are they from? – Contact info if we've got it.
* Andy Fielding – Accordion Noir theme (long version, 2:30) – Accordion Noir (2010) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – More, http://www.andyfielding.com/temp/visigoth.pdf
* Mark Lee & The Co-Pilots – Ain't It Funny – You May Hear Footsteps... (2007) – New South Wales, Australia – www.markleecopilots.com
* The Gertrudes – Sailor – Vancouver Folk Festival Sampler 2010 (0) – Kingston, Ontario, Canada – http://thegertrudes.com/
* Kelly Joe Phelps – Window Grin – Slingshot Professionals (2003) – Sumner (that's east of Puyallup), Washington, USA – http://www.kellyjoephelps.net/
* Naftule's Dream – Gnossiene #1 – Job (0) – Boston, Massachusetts, USA – http://www.naftulesdream.com/
* Renato Borghetti – Hospitaleira Vacaria – Planet Squeezebox (Disc 2) (1995) – Brasil – http://www.renatoborghetti.com.br/eng_default.asp
* Ivan Koval – Fuge b-Moll – Das Akkordeon: Instrument der Melancholie (2001) – Czech Republic? – http://www.augemus.de/index/cds_solo+kammermusik.html
* Camille Feruzi – Kahagwe – Congo Accordeon (1930's?) – Congo, Central Africa – (From our friend Jared Snyder, http://www.pendragonpress.com/books/bookdetail.php?PPNo=596 – get them to reprint volume 1 with Jared's Africa article.)
* Pamela Brennan – Amsterdam – One Hundred Photographs (2009) – Toronto, Ontario, Canada – Annelise Noronha, acc. www.pamelabrennan.com
* Wintermitts – Intro – Cascadia Fault (2007) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – http://wintermitts.com/
* Accordion Tribe – Altered Landscapes – Accordion Tribe (1998) – Slovenia, Sweden, Finland, USA, Austria – http://hoedown.com/
* The Avengers (TV show, not LA punk band) – Avengers Accordion Repairs (I think that's what they were doing) – The Gravediggers (episode) (1965) – UK
* Nicolae Guta – Nu M , Am Schimbat – Sunt Stapan in Romania (2007) – http://nicolaeguta.ro/
* Beasts And Superbeasts – If I Was A House – Beasts And Superbeasts (2007) – Victoria, British Columbia, Canada – http://www.myspace.com/beastsandsuperbeasts
* Dick Contino – Moonglow – 12 Immortal Songs (0) – Las Vegas, Nevada, USA – http://www.dickcontino.com/
* T.O. Combo – J.R.'s Tune – T.O. Forever: Tohono O'odham Waila (2000) – Tohono O'odham people, Sonoran desert, southeastern Arizona – http://www.canyonrecords.com/native_american_waila_and_chicken_scratch_music/
This episode's cover is: Hmm. I could use the scratchy image of William Burt at: http://www.typewritermuseum.org/history/inventors.html (I can't find a picture of his "typowriter/typographer" machine.
But we'll go with George Blickensderfer's spectacularly spindly first portable typewriter (1893): http://www.answers.com/topic/typewriter
Leaving out Giuseppe Ravizza's lovely scribe harpsichord, which is pretty darn nice: http://www.feedingthepuppy.typepad.com/feeding_the_puppy/page/2/
And off course, nothing approaches the steam-punk glory of Hansen's Writing Ball. I have one wired to my computer to type these missives to you. (See next week's cylinder recordings for more lively industrial-revolution technology.)
Get all your Vancouver Area accordion-festival information at:
Vancouver Squeezebox Circle meets the first Thursday of every month at Spartacus Books, 684 E. Hastings. 8-10 PM.
Let us know where you're listening from: email@example.com
Support Accordion Noir, we love our supporters, and our supporters' supporters – even our detractors love our supporters.
We have one more Accordion Babes Calendar to entice you. Mailed anywhere in the world for the first person who signs up for a general or monthly donor donation!
Accordion Noir T-shirts! With a swell sepia-colour antique accordion and Flutina Girl image, and on the back our motto: "Ruthlessly pursuing the idea that the accordion is just another instrument."
Shirts are $20 here in Vancouver. $25 mail-order. We've got pictures up on the Squeezebox Circle site now. More info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Again, our fame-ulous "One Less Guitar" stickers are available for $2 (or $8 for five) all as a fund-raiser for Co-op Radio and Accordion Noir! Email: email@example.com
Come to the Vancouver Squeezebox Circle, the first Thursday of every month, at Spartacus Books! www.SqueezeboxCircle.org
This is where we love to say: Please support ethical and fabulous media by becoming a member of Co-op Radio, because we love our little radio-station, and it loves us all back.
CFRO Co-op Radio in Vancouver, BC, Canada
102.7 FM 9:30-10:30 PM
http://www.coopradio.org/ to support us worldwide.
Please bask in the green glory of www.AccordionNoir.org and click on the subtle "Donate" link on top to share funds with Accordion Noir's beloved Co-op Radio. Thanks to donors and Co-op Radio Members, we are great-full!