Posted on 29 December, 2009 - 21:47 byBruce Triggs
AccNoir-2009-12-21, Concertina Noir!
(This post is out of order, but I wanted to get the Winter-wonder-show last week out early. I wasn't drunk or anything here, I don't know why I sound like it.)
In the consumerist vein, pick up Accordion Babes Pin-up Calendars to support Accordion Noir and Co-op Radio for the new year! Spartacus Books, Highlife Records, or Co-op Books!
Accordion Noir shirts are cool winter fashion too, available at Spartacus or from us.
SqueezeboxCircle.org or email us: email@example.com
*Artist – Song – Album (year) – Where they're from – Contact info.
* Regardt de Bruin – Herinnering Aan Bles – Anglo International (2005) – Kempton Park, Johannesburg, South Africa – http://www.angloconcertina.co.uk/
* Harry Belafonte – Angelina – All Time Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 (1961) – New York, New York, USA / Aboukir, Jamaica – Where is the concertina version of this song?
* L Mahlobo – Umalume – Squashbox: Zulu, Sotho, Xhosa Concertina, 1930-1965 (1962) – South Africa – David Murray sent us this. Thankyou David! firstname.lastname@example.org
* Chris Sherburn & Danny Bartley – Old Joe's Jig, The Mist On The Mountain, The Mooncoin – Last Night's Fun (1995) – Leeds, West Yorkshire, England (orig. W. Ireland or so.) – Chris Sherburn, anglo concertina. http://www.lastnightsfun.com/ reviewed: http://www.folkmusic.net/htmfiles/webrevs/som002.htm
* Juliette Daum – Cancion de Cuna – Mallorca Dulee y Picante: Dulce (2007) – France/Wisconsin – http://www.juliettedaum.com/ Wheatstone Baritone Concertina
* Allan Atlas – A Stoír Mo Chroí – English International (2006) – Center for the Study of Free-Reed Instruments, New York City, USA – http://englishconcertina.org/
* Jonas Mate & Kleinbooi Motaung – Mamolikoane – Squashbox: Zulu, Sotho, Xhosa Concertina, 1930-1965 (1930) – South Africa – David Murray sent us this. Thankyou David! email@example.com
* Arthur Osmond – I played my concertina – Edison Standard Record: 10209 (1909) – – Part of the UCSB Cylinder Digitization Project: http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/.
* Alf Edwards – Russian Rag – English International (1951) – Born near Newcastle upon Tyne, UK – http://englishconcertina.org/
* Andy Turner – Bedfordshire March/The Decennial – Anglo International (2005) – Oxfordshire, UK – http://www.angloconcertina.co.uk/ http://www.magpielane.dsl.pipex.com/andyturner/
* Juliette Daum – Sonata Typica de Mallorca – Mallorca Dulee y Picante: Dulce (2007) – France/Wisconsin – http://www.juliettedaum.com/ Wheatstone Baritone Concertina
* Toy-Box Trio – Harrenhal – (2009) – Seattle, Washington, USA – http://www.myspace.com/toyboxtrio
* Oguta Bobo with his accordion – Alfred Wambogo – Rujina Kalando (1998) – Kenya, Africa – Luo Accordion/Concertina
* Tarkin – Rowan's intro and then Tarkin's track I messed up on on the show: Minto – live on our show, Accordion Noir 2007-05-18 – Vancouver, BC, Canada – http://www.tarkin.ca/
* Alan Day – Rosbif Waltz – Anglo International (2005) – Horley, London and South East UK – http://www.angloconcertina.co.uk/
* Lea Nicholson – Courtly Masquing Ayres – The Concertina Record (1980) – UK – http://www.jayls.com/jamring/
* Alistair Anderson – Farewell To The Dene; Strawberries Galore; Cheviot Rant – English International (2008) – International Concertina Association, UK – http://englishconcertina.org/
This episode's cover is: Charles Wheatstone today's squeezebox hero, inventer of Telegraphy (partially), 3-D glasses, and the concertina! (patented Dec 19, 1829): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Wheatstone
Support Accordion Noir, we love our supporters!
We've got Accordion Noir T-shirts! With a swell colour antique accordion and Flutina Girl image, and on the back our moto: "Ruthlessly pursuing the idea that the accordion is just another instrument."
Shirts are $20 here in Vancouver. Tentatively $25 mail-order. We may adjust that as we see how much postage costs. We'll get some pictures up on our Squeezebox Circle site as soon as I take some. More info: firstname.lastname@example.org
We also have the 2010 Accordion Babes Pinup Calendar!
Women posing with their sexy accordions. What’s this mean for the world?
Saucy, Sexy, Campy, Suggestive? We might be the only Canadian source, and they sold out last year, so get ‘em quick for all your squeezy friends.
Another fundraiser for Co-op Radio, includes a cool CD of accordion music made by these women and their bands. $20 / $25 with postage to wherever you are.
Again, our new "One Less Guitar" sticker is available for $2 (or $8 for five) as a fund-raiser for Co-op Radio and Accordion Noir! Email: email@example.com
Come to the Vancouver Squeezebox Circle, the first Thursday of every month, at Spartacus Books! www.SqueezeboxCircle.org
This is where we love to say: Please support ethical and fabulous media by becoming a member of Co-op Radio, because we love our little radio-station, and it loves us all back.
CFRO Co-op Radio in Vancouver, BC, Canada
102.7 FM 9:30-10:30 PM
http://www.coopradio.org/ to support us worldwide.
Please bask in the green glory of www.AccordionNoir.org and click on the subtle "Donate" link on top to share funds with Accordion Noir's beloved Co-op Radio. Thanks to donors and Co-op Radio Members, we are great-full!
Co-op Radio is almost completely sponsored by listeners, no huge government or corporate funds. Each show asks its supporters to kick in to keep the whole affair on the air. Our show needs to earn $700 a year for our share of CFRO's budget. Get an online membership at www.CoopRadio.org, and tell them Accordion Noir sent you. Please email us if you donate too, so we make sure squeezeboxes get credit!
If you make a donation, you will win a prize! (Let us know you donated and we'll haggle.)
That's how we keep Accordion Noir, and CFRO, on the air.
Thank you, we hope you're having fun!
Let us know where you're listening from: firstname.lastname@example.org